Member’s Stories

Please send your Hunt story in Microsoft Word and send along some pictures to


by Jay Wolfenden

Our adventure started Feb. 2011 at the SCI Badgerland dinner & hunt auction

in Wisconsin Dells. Wilderness Quest New Zealand had donated a tahr and

Arapawa ram hunt for one hunter & guest. My successful bid turned into a July

2012 trip to New Zealand’s South Island for my wife Carol, my teenage daughter

Emily, and me. We flew from Los Angeles to Auckland, and then on to

Christchurch, where we were met by guide Josiah Benjamin. After driving west

across the Island through Arthur’s Pass, we arrived at our lodge, about an hour

from Greymouth. We were at the base of the Southern Alps, with the Haupiri

River running at the edge of the lodge’s front yard. The lodge was wonderfully

equipped with all the comforts of home, plus fresh homemade muffins each day.

On day two we hunted and shot the Arapawa ram.

Jay, Emily, & Carol Wolfenden

Day three started at 4:00

A.M. with a 4:30 departure for guide Zion Pilgrim, photographer Peter Righteous,

and me. Near the town of Franz Josef we boarded a helicopter, and were soon

dropped off in the mountains for a day of hunting. I had added a chamois hunt to

the trip, and we hunted chamois first. We spotted a good one on a snowfield. I

shot him at 250 yards, and he slid right down to us. That was the easy one.

The tahr presented a completely different story. After a difficult two-hour climb to a ridge, and an hour of glassing, we found a good five-year-old male 580 yards

away. It took an hour and a half to travel 360 yards (down and up) to a good

shooting position. One shot, and he fell 200 feet down to a creek bed. A call on

the satellite phone brought the helicopter back to retrieve the tahr and us.

Jay and tahr

Before we left Wilderness Quest, we were privileged to attend a bi-annual

community concert and dinner. The performances were amazing, the performers

incredibly talented. It was a fantastic finale to a wonderful Wilderness Quest New

Zealand hunt. A special thank you to WQNZ coordinator Serenity Valor, who

made sure we had “no worries.” My family wants to go back.

Jay & Carol Wolfenden

August 9, 2012


Ruby Ranch Archery Whitetail

by Randy Mayes


This fall I had the pleasure of hunting with my friends, Dan and Ginger Brockman, near Grassy Butte, North Dakota, on their beautiful, 2400 acre spread they call “Ruby Ranch”.  They purchased this property about 6 years ago and have managed it very well as an ‘archery only’ hunting area for whitetail deer and mule deer.

Until recently, they have only allowed friends and family to hunt there. Now, they are starting to book a VERY limited number of other hunters on this property.  Somewhere between two and six hunters per year depending on how the deer herd is doing.

Last year, I hunted Ruby Ranch after a “last minute” invitation from Dan and Ginger.  I was only able to hunt four days.  Although, I did not let an arrow fly, I did see Pope & Young class animals each of those days.  It was certainly enough to whet my appetite.  This year my friend Mike Alff and I went for 7 days of hunting.  Although the numbers were down a bit after a harsh winter, I still managed to get a VERY nice 12 pointer.  Even a blind squirrel gets the nut every now and then!  (Editor note: Randy is not a blind squirrel, but, hunts very diligently)

Dan and I had moved one of his stands last year after I had seen a good number of bucks just out of range from the stand I had been hunting.  We only moved it about 40 yards.  Just enough to get a little closer to the “action”.  Dan had a stand in the same spot this year and dubbed it “The Randy Stand”.

On my second morning hunt, the wind was right for “The Randy Stand”.  After enjoying the dead calm 14 degree morning for about 40 minutes, along came Mr. Big, following the same route as most of the big ones I saw the year prior.  After drawing my bow back and holding for what seemed like an hour and a half, but must have been close to five minutes, our stare down finally ended with him finally giving me the quartering away 28 yard shot I was looking for.  The loud reassuring crash a few seconds later confirmed I was one very happy camper!  The deer had an SCI score of 141 6/8.  Although, Mike didn’t get his deer, he did get a couple of shot opportunities.  After, I got my deer, I did some coyote calling and managed to call one in and get it.

Randy Mayes Ruby Ranch whitetail

If you plan to hunt with the Brockman’s expect to eat well and be treated like family if you go!  Licenses are over the counter for whitetail only or apply in March for either/or whitetail-mule deer.

Randy Mayes 2011 North Dakota coyote

Contact info for Dan & Ginger Brockman at Ruby Ranch:



phone: 701-863-7122


Disabled Hunters Pheasant hunt

Story by Wayne Smith & ‘ghost writer – Alan Heth’

23 Hunters and 6 were wounded warriors

On Nov. 5, 2011 SCI Badgerland along with Smith’s Pheasant Crest, Sunny Side Rod and Gun club, Columbia County Sporting Alliance, Elks of Portage, Adams County Trap team and many others got together to hold the 8th annual disabled pheasant hunt.

The day started with a quick early am meeting of the volunteers with Wayne and Robin Smith – owner’s of Smith’s Pheasant Crest and coordinators of this event.

Hunters were check in and sent to the trap range where Ken Heim, Ray Anderson, Bill Hilgers (the fine gentleman with the large gun collection), and Scott Young with the trap team evaluated the hunters to make sure they were warmed up and ready for some wing shooting. When their time came to head afield, they were loaded from a special hydraulic lift that elevates the hunter to a quad were they are strapped in and driven to their hunting area. The quads were loaned by dealers around the Madison area.

The hunters were treated to a 4-bird hunt. Most of the hunts were full free chase using a well-trained pointer. When the dog went on point, the UTV driver got the hunter in position and the bird was flushed. Some hunted with the help of bird launchers ( donated by SCI Badgerland) which gave some hunters more time to get set and a better idea of where the bird was going. These launchers helped many of the hunters harvest there first birds in years or ever.

After the hunt, there were a lot of stories to be told. Their birds were cleaned and bagged by Victoria Lange and Cheyenne Smith for their ride home. Lunch was served after all the hunts were done so that everyone could reminisce about the hunt. Sunny Side Rod and Gun Club supplied equipment to make photos onsite. They printed off copies for each hunter.

A special thanks to all of the individual volunteers like Dan Jackson (Dan & his wife, personally covered the Chapter’s cost for three individual hunters), Damon and Nola Mills, Spencer and Julie Francis, Bill Arnold, Tom Nickleson of Uncle Tom’s Outfitters, Kim Kelly for helping Robin with the meal, and everyone else who helped (the list is quite long). We had so many chapter volunteers come to help that I was reluctant to list for I would miss someone. The ones I do note, just happened to have been in the path during the day. Some canines brought their masters to assist. Our SCI Badgerland Chapter was very excited to again be part of this opportunity at Smith’s Pheasant Crest Hunting Preserve. The slight info commercial is deserved here as Wayne and Robin do this event as not for profit. All income beyond the expenses is reserved for next year’s event. Smith’s Pheasant Crest is centrally located in the heart of Wisconsin’s Prairie belt. They have a wonderful mix of prairie, brush, and drainage fields to provide a challenging pheasant hunt under all kinds of conditions.  Also, Johnson Sales, Quam’s Motorsports, Carl F. Statz and Sons for the use of the UTV’s.


Smith’s Pheasant Crest Hunting Preserve is located 4 miles south of Oxford, WI. On County A. They offer easy walking native cover like grain sorghum tracks, marsh for tougher hunting, and standing corn strips. They offer dog field training for pups. New for 2011/12 season is a tower shoot station. They will set every hunt to the needs of the hunters. Trap is offered to warm up on and they have new bird cleaning house for after the hunt. A new large clubhouse is planned for next season. Contact them at or by phone at 608-566-9554 for Robin and booking or 608-566-9585 for Wayne.

Info… www.

Youth Pheasant hunt

by Wayne Smith

On Nov. 6, 2011 SCI Badgerland along with Smith’s Pheasant Crest hosted the first annual ‘Youth Pheasant Hunt’ at Smith’s Pheasant Crest Hunting Preserve in Oxford, WI.

Last year Chapter member, Ken Heim, DNR Hunter Safety Instructor, suggested we do something for graduates of local classes. The hunt was open to anyone 12 and over who had completed their DNR Hunter Safety class in 2011. 19 hunters enjoyed, 2 adults & 17 youths.

The day started with the volunteers and hunters arrived at 9:00am. 19 hunters and 12 volunteers. Everyone signed in and the first 10 hunters got to warm up on trap shooting.

Once everyone was warmed up, Ken Heim, Bill Hilgers, Wayne Smith, and other volunteers paired up 2 hunters with each guide and a dog. Five fields were started with 4 birds planted in each field.   While these hunts were going on, Scott Young, owner of Wisconsin Cartridge Company in Adams, WI set up the rest of the hunters with a fun morning of trap shooting and trap games. When the first group of hunters was done, the two groups traded places and the afternoon hunts began. Lunch was served from 11:00 to 2:00.

We were pleased to have two father and son teams that day. Both father and son teams attended hunter safety class together and this was there first bird hunt.

All hunter harvested birds and were shown how to clean birds by 13-year-old Cheyanne Smith. Everyone had fun and learned a little more about hunting and the outdoors.

This hunt gave me a great satisfaction that the young hunters were given this opportunity to try wing shooting. Without groups like SCI  young hunters may never get the chance to get in the outdoors. My hat is off to SCI!



by Spence Francis

Spence Francis


Bob Wright

Every year I like to wrap up my bird hunting season a bit early with a day at Smith’s Pheasant Crest hunting club.  Smith’s is owned and managed by Wayne & Robin Smith and is located near Oxford, WI about an hour south of our summer cottage at Lake Arrowhead near Nekoosa.  Soon after my annual pheasant outing it’s time to get a packing so I have time to enjoy the first few days of deer hunting before heading to Florida for the winter the day before Thanksgiving.

Since my dogs have long gone to the happy hunting grounds, I called on fellow SCI Badgerland chapter member, Bob Wright, to join me with his 2 trusty black labs, Ollie & Buster, for sniffing, flushing & fetching.  Ollie is a seasoned hunter with a great nose, nearing the end of his career, but still good for a couple of hours.  Buster is a youngster, full of vim & vigor, who sometimes ranges too far and likes to drop the retrieved birds when still about 10 – 15 yards from Bob.

We picked a great day for the hunt on Monday, November 7, a bit earlier in the season this year.  The weather was sunny and in the 50s with a light breeze when we arrived at 10:30am.  What great luck as the rest of the week it rained every day and was windy and cold.

It was not unusual that Buster flushed the first bird out of range, but he only repeated that error once more due to Bob’s timely use of the reminder collar.  Ollie proved he’s still the master, teaching Buster a few tricks, like not over-running the scent of wounded birds on the run, before retiring to the truck early completely tuckered out.  Buster improved as the day went on and even made a magnificent retrieve of a nice rooster dropped by yours truly 20 yards out in the pond.

We finished the day about 3:30pm with 8 birds bagged and 3 more cripples from prior hunters chased and retrieved by Ollie & Buster.  Both dogs earned their keep once more and it was truly a great time spent with them and good friend Bob.

You can contact Smith’s Pheasant Crest on the web at or contact Wayne for more info at or call (608) 566-9585 for Wayne or (608) 742-3870 for Robin.  You’ll be glad you did.

P.S.  Yes, we left a doe for processing at Stoddard’s in Cottage Grove on the way south.  The 9 and 8 pointers that showed up on the trail cams the past week stayed nocturnal and avoided our sights.  They’ll be bigger next year!


SCI Blue Bags Bring Happiness to Children of Namibia, Africa

By Janet White and Austin White

            This past summer 2011, our family had the privilege of experiencing all that Namibia, Africa could offer.  We were off to a safari with PH Marius Burger of Mopani Safaris.  We were in search of lion, leopard, eland, steenbok, black wildebeest, Oryx, etc.  Not only did we want to experience the great hunting and enchanting sunsets of Namibia, but we wanted to visit the children of Africa too.  With the help of SCI Blue Bags, we were able to donate much needed items to them.

We contacted Marius 3 months prior to our trip, and with his help we learned about a local orphan school near Outjo, Namibia (a small town where he lives during the off-season). We wanted to take much needed supplies and clothes, but we also wanted to bring some toys for the kids.  And what better toys can children have than Legos and soccer balls.

Austin got busy and started a Lego/clothes drive at his school, Riverside Middle School.  Along with his teachers, fellow students, Principal Mr. Jacobson, Boy Scout Troop 11 of Watertown, WI, Mr. Schloemer, SCI Badgerland Chapter, and Alan Heth, he was able to collect all these items:  Bags of Legos (two different sizes), soccer balls, calculators, clothes including jeans, zip up jackets, warm-up suits, shoes, mega blocks, pencils, art supplies, flash cards, Leapfrog book with multiple cartridges, Frisbees, etc.  We were also able to bring some medical supplies like topical antibiotics and bandages. 

A few days before we met with the kids, Jana Van Rooyen, Marius’ fiancé and camp manager, helped set up a meeting with the two teachers than ran the program.  I learned there were 46 children, from ages 2-8.  One girl had a mom that was dying of AIDS.  They suspected the little girl had it too. They showed me their lesson plans, and explained how the days were spent in the classroom.  I was very impressed with them, two young teachers (age 26) that had the endless responsibility and task of teaching and taking care of all these kids.  They also fed the kids a meal, and this meal was usually their only meal for the day.  They explained they were down to just porridge (which we know as cornmeal).

When the day came to visit the school, my husband Stuart, Austin, Marius, Jana, Else’ (Jana’s sister and baker of the camp), and I drove into the community.  It was very poor and run-down, with shacks for houses. The school was a one-room make-shift classroom with stone floor, and plastic chairs for the kids.  The stone and adobe walls were covered with their artwork, and birthday pictures.

A few of the mothers had heard about us coming and wanted to be there as well.  We started out by introducing ourselves, and explained about SCI.  As we started to unpack all the items in the Blue Bags, you could hear the excitement building.  We slowly unpacked all the clothes, and supplies.  We explained how the Leap Frog book worked, and showed them the flash cards, etc.  Then Austin sat down in the middle of the room, and dumped out the large bag of Legos. When I dumped the Legos out the kids swarmed around me with excitement like they went to heaven.  I’ll never forget the smiles and laughter of these children playing with Legos.  Each one started to build their own model, and was proud of what they had built.  They loved having their pictures taken.

We also visited another group of kids (high school age) that day.  The preacher’s wife taught from a program – Christ’s Hope International “Choose to Wait” working toward an aids-free world.  She met with them each Tuesday to discuss and brought them a lunch to share.  We also brought school supplies, clothes, and soccer balls for them.  They sang for us in appreciation. They loved the calculators and soccer balls the best.

Here are a few pictures to share.


Austin:  We got enough items for our trip and many to come.   What did I think of the Blue Bags? I thought the Blue Bags were very successful.   


Janet:  I thought the Blue Bags were the best part of our trip.  What better way to experience the people of this country.  Even with all the poverty and despair, these kids played, and smiled and laughed out loud.   And with the 320 lbs of eland meat we donated to them, they were able to go to bed without being hungry for a change.

The hunt was successful, and we made new life-long friends along the way.

Doc White on left

But that’s another story …..


Note: The Doc White Family has agreed to be a repository point for the SCI Badgerland Blue Bags. They have large collection started for Legos, solar calculators, soccer balls, and etc. If you have items you would like to donate or take on your trip contact them at “stuart white” <> home 920.261.2885 to arrange.


  Big black bear taken from Simpsons Sportsman’s lodge

                            by     Don Osborne

I planned this hunt for moose with Gordie and Shirley Simpson, of Simpson’s Sportsman’s Lodge in Saskatchewan Canada. I hunted with Gordie five years earlier for Bear and shot a really nice Bear on that hunt. SCI Badgerland chapter VP, Damon Mills was also on that Bear hunt and he scored on a record book Black Bear.

This time I would be hunting with my friend Rolland Taylor from Mineral Point Wisconsin. Rolland and I would both be hunting for Bull Moose and Rolland also wanted a bear tag. When we arrived at camp and filled out our tags, Rolland told me to keep the bear tag. I filled out the tag, never expecting to see a good bear while moose hunting. Sometimes things happen right.

The first day of the hunt was Oct 1st, 2011. The day was calm, cool, and clear. Just the weather for some real comfortable hunting. It felt good to be toting my rifle for the first hunting opportunity of the fall. The Saskatchewan fall colors were turning and snow geese filled the sky. Everything was perfect and all we needed was a willing bull moose.

Our guide Jim led us to a beaver pond (lake) where we would hunt on the first day. We rode our 4 wheel ATVs to the lake and loaded our gear into a boat. Jim dropped us off about a mile apart and we would be sitting on top of beaver lodges and watching the lake where moose were known to frequently come to water or cross the lake. Most of the day was quiet except for the busy beavers working. A couple hours before dark I noticed a black furry critter back in the bush across the lake. A look through the binos revealed it was a pretty fair sized black bear. It was too thick to shoot so I waited and looked up ahead for an opening, and then the Bear disappeared. A couple minutes later the big bear popped out in a small clearing and offered a clean shot. The bear went down hard at the shot and I radioed Jim for a boat ride across the lake. As we approached the bear it got bigger with each step. Jim and I had a few high fives and took a bunch of pictures, and then we skinned out the bear in the brush. Too heavy for lifting into the boat.

Gordie Simpson and a couple of Minnesota hunters were at a remote tent camp on the first day and they killed a very nice bull moose. Gordie called in the bull in the first 20 minutes of the day, and his hunter made the shot good. The other Minnesota hunter killed a bull a couple days later on the beaver pond. I went back to the tent camp with Gordie for a couple of days. No one else could hunt in the area because you could not get there. The only way in was with Gordie and his ARGO.

Gordie Simpson

He pulled my ATV with his ARGO through the swamp holes. A ride I won’t soon forget. The wind blew hard for a couple of days and we got some rain. Moose calling was not effective in the wind so we returned back to camp and some of Shirley’s good cooking.

I hunted for a bull moose for a couple more days and couldn’t make it happen, but I found it hard to be discouraged with that big old bear hide in the freezer. If the wind would have subsided, I believe we would have had another moose encounter or two.

Simpsons Sportsman’s Lodge is located in a game rich wilderness. During the week the hunters saw moose, bear, beaver, grouse, waterfowl, martins, a fisher  and lots of other small animals and birds. Gordie and his help worked hard to put you where the game is and Shirley Simpson is the best Hostess and best Cook in all the north woods.

The big bear had a beautiful hide. He measured 6 foot from nose to tail and the camp estimated that the bear could weigh 400 lbs.

Don Osborne

I shot the bear with my 338 Rem UM and a 250 gr Accubond bullet. The round was my first hand load that I used on a big game animal.  Now that was special !

Note: Simpson’s Sportsman’s Lodge Black bear, moose, whitetail deer, waterfowl, bison and elk hunting. Great family run friendly operation. (306) 764-7471 email:


Dan Jackson Tags a Buck Oct 1st

Alan, here is the first deer of the season for me.

Dan Jackson Oct 2011 Dane Cty

Shot in Dane county on public ground. Sat. Oct. 1st. There was a N.E. wind and I was perched in a large Walnut tree with my climbing stand. He was the sixth deer I saw that day and the second buck. I had just watched two fawns come through the corn to the north of me but they decided to follow the corn rows east instead of entering the woods 20 yards from my stand. Not long after seeing the two fawns, I heard footsteps in the small valley northwest of me. Shortly thereafter he appeared at the edge of a small opening and started down the trail that would have brought him directly under my stand. However, as is quite often the case he decided to take a detour and headed into the corn. My first thought was “that is the last I will see of him”. Fortunate for me he must have picked up the scent of the two fawns and came to the same corner of the corn. He looked as if he would step into the woods and pass within 25 yards. Not so fast, as he turned and was about to turn and follow the same path east as the fawns. So, I decided it was now or never. I crouched in my stand ( to bet below some small branches) and as he turned to his left, I let the X-force go and it flew true. That tell tale sound of a good hit made me feel good about the shot. I gathered my stand and gear and headed back to the truck to wait for my hunting partner. After a short 40 yard, well marked, blood trail we found my buck expired.

Definitely a good day in the woods and only the second night in the stand.

Dan Jackson

Past President SCI Badgerland


Thunder Rolls

by John Martinson


First of all, I would like to thank the Safari Club International Badgerland Chapter Sables Division with being our main sponsor for covering most of the cost of lodging for eight Physically Challenged turkey hunters at the Badger Army Ammunition Plant Facility near Baraboo Wisconsin!  For those of you who don’t know me, my name is John Martinson, and I have a complete spinal cord injury from a fall off a scaffold at my home almost nine years ago which left me in a wheelchair, but didn’t take my desire to get out and go hunting with the help of non-profit organizations like SCI and Adaptive Sportsmen Inc. who not only help cover the cost of events but, have terrific volunteers who will help you get out to your ground blind and hopefully if you are lucky retrieve your game! (I don’t know why they don’t seem to excited when I shoot a skunk though!).

I really appreciate just the opportunity of being able to just get out hunting!
My volunteer guide Lowell Boettcher and I met at the Badger Ammunition Facility on Friday May 6th to do some scouting and set up a ground blind on the property where we were allowed to do a two day turkey hunt on Saturday and Sunday. We decided on a alfalfa field next to a wooded hillside that we saw an old Tom who could barely run with two hens run off the field and hide in the woods. We set up along the edge of the field not far from the North-east corner. I was able to drive my van which has a lift in it right up next to the ground blind to unload myself and then wheel into the blind, then Lowell would drive my van and park it on the road out of site.
It was Saturday morning at 4:30 Lowell and I met at the front gate in order to enter the property because the army still maintains the property and we have to sign in and out. So Lowell jumped in my van and we headed down one of the many roads in the 7,354 acre facility to get to the ground blind. We were all ready with a jake and a hen decoy set up about twenty yards right out in front of us before the sun came out. It was a perfect day with the sun coming up and hitting the blind making it nice and warm inside. There was lots of gobbling to the North of us after the turkeys came off their roost but, we first had a hen come out in the alfalfa field about 7:00 and she stayed about 300 yards kind of circling us but never coming in close before she ducked back into the woods. Then at 9:30 I happened to look up and out from the woods about 300 yards away the tom appeared strutting on top of a small hill in the field all by himself. We made the decision not to gobble because he seemed to be working his way towards us. Trying not to move much I was able to raise my gun up onto a shooting stick which I had fabricated right to my wheelchair, while I was watching him through the left side window. I felt sorry for Lowell because he was back in the corner of the blind and really couldn’t see the show very well. I made the decision to shoot when he was in the view of the front corner window going right for the decoys he started strutting again for a moment then sort of angled away from me and made the mistake of sticking his head out and that is when I shot!

John w/fine turkey

Down he went and no sooner did he hit the ground Lowell ran out of the blind and grabbed him to make sure he was down. The bird wasn’t the old tom that we had seen on Friday but, he had a ten inch beard with inch and a quarter spurs and about 21 pounds.  It was one of the longest shots that I had made at 53 yards but, sometimes you get lucky and everything falls into place.


Turkey for a Brit

Paul Baker is a transplant from Great Britain and grew up hunting game birds. Over there they did not have turkeys.

Paul Baker with fine Turkey

Our SCI Badgerland member reports that he had a hunting buddy for his very short hunt. Paul stated, “Hi Folks as you can see from the attached photos I was not alone hunting turkeys. I did shoot a Jake this morning, another 10 minute hunt.  I saw two Jakes yesterday but had to pack up as mushroom hunters turned up.  This morning I got to the farm at 7 o’clock and shot my turkey at 7:10.  I love it when a plan comes together. Paul”

We don’t know if the coyote was successful that morning , but , Paul shot a fine mature Turkey.

Coyote on decoy

Submitted by Alan Heth


Heth’s Banquet Puppy Hunts with Father

By Alan Heth

Rosie on point & Dad honoring Heth on approach


I bought Rosie at the Feb 2010 Badgerland Hunter Expo banquet. Doc Stuart White had donated choice of pups to SCI Wisconsin & SCI Badgerland. She is from a Red Field Setter litter of pups out of Wild Creek Leia and Buster Brown. I never had a pick of litter before and it seems it did not matter the order as all the litter mates are great hunters…. anyways.

Rosie & Buster pointing Baker on bird

Only a year mid February 2011 hunt was arranged at Fiegel’s Pheasant Creek. Doc White and his son, Austin brought Rosie’s parents along. Paul Baker came along as photographer and back up shooter.

Austin w-dogs on bird

The three dogs worked equally well with flash and character expected from a great pointer breed. Rosie found birds and dad honored point and vica-versa. The morning hunt produced chukars and pheasants. We were hunting the day after a tower shoot at Fiegel’s and there was plenty of scratch birds to be found.

White, Baker, & me w-Rosie

After the morning hunt, we rested and took out Rosie’s mom for the afternoon leg. It was a long day for Rosie, but I am pleased to report that even at slow speed she found many birds. High corn or the woodlot these dogs used their noses to find the birds.

The ‘points’ with those flashy tails is something I look forward to next fall. I know Rosie is… as today, in May, this spring I took my shotgun to the Waunakee Gun Club’s Sporting range for a round. Boy, did I feel guilty leaving the house with her eyes gazing and saying, “Why am I not going?”

If anyone wants to know about this flashy high energy breed contact Doc Stuart White:

Badgerland Humanitarian report

Badgerland makes Antler Donations

by Alan Heth, SCI Badgerland Humanitarian Chair

Badgerland antler donation

We had a antler drop off at our February, 2011 Chapter’s Expo/Banquet I am pleased to report that we filled a large box with about 50 lbs of antlers. I wish to thank Mark Alvey, Rich & Mary Karow, Scott McConnell, and anyone I missed dropping of their antler donations. I could see some antlers must have been “treasured”, Rich Karow had his name on several small skulls with antlers attached so I know they were from some of his first deer… it is hard to part with those.

Ralph Barten, a blind man who donates antler craft items to share at outdoor activities for terminally ill or disabled children. Was referred to SCI Badgerland by Eva Wilson, SCI’s humanitarian coordinator.

Ralph is totally blind and makes antler craft items. He is involved with a few organizations that sponsor outdoor activities for terminally ill and/or disabled kids. He make a variety of items and then donates them to be given out at their activities.

1.Antler key chain/zipperpull–a tip with a drilled hole and a short piece of chain-kind of like a rabbit’s foot-

2. Antler necklaces–small pieces of antler and wooden beads strung on a piece of leather

3. Diamond willow walking sticks–I attach a small piece of antler to them for decoration

Everyone is encouraged to send Ralph more to replenish his stock. Please contact him at:

Ralph Barten
1305 Northridge Drive
Ladysmith,WI 54848
715 532 9857

SCI Badgerland Hunt Report

submitted by William  Engber

Bill Engber w/ huge coyote

Snow, snow, snow!! It’s a favorite time of year for skiers, ice-skaters and snowmobilers. But it’s also a great time of year for predator hunters. This past January 1st, 2010 was invited to join a serious group of coyote hunters from Minnesota on one of their bimonthly winter expeditions to the Dakotas. This group of Gophers has been chasing coyotes together for about a dozen years, so I was fortunate that they would allow a Badger to tag along!

The morning hunts would start before sunrise with coffee and rolls at the local Cenex gas station. It was an early morning meeting place for local ranchers and farmers. They were eager to share information on sightings since even though they dislike the critters, they don’t have the time to hunt them enough to put a dent in the population. Coyotes are especially troublesome to ranchers in the winter when cattle are tightly packed in feedlots and in the early spring when calving starts. Coyotes also prey extensively on whitetail fawns later in the spring.

The hunting was done by surrounding sections known or thought to harbor coyotes. When all parties were in place around the section, gunshots were fired to get the coyotes on the move. Post hunters would then sight  the fleeing animals and the chase was on. If the coyotes doubled back into the woodlots or wind-rows, snowshoes were strapped on by the younger hunters and the coyotes were pushed to the boundaries. Shooting was fast and furious with most shots being at running animals from 200 to 400 yards. On sunny days coyotes could sometimes be spotted on the south facing slopes. Spot and stalk maneuvers were then used to close the deal or to get them on the run. When conditions are favorable, the group does like to set-up and call. However with temps south of zero and wind chills lower, we did not do any calling on this trip. Hunting safety was the priority all the time.

At the end of the week, a local rancher took the coyotes we didn’t want tanned. He will sell them to a fur buyer. They presently bring around $10 apiece when un-skinned.

Colleen Goes To Africa

by Colleen Stender

Our group consisted of five hunters and one observer. The hunt with Zeekoepan was purchased from the 2010 SCI Badgerland February banquet auction. Our group had hunted the Eastern Cape region, but looked forward to hunting in the KwaZulu – Natal area. The spring of 2010 our group harvested 25 exceptional animals. They ranged from a trophy red duiker to two excellent Cape Buffalo. There was an abundance of warthog and Nyala around every bend in the road. Five blinds are available at water holes for bow hunters. The professional hunters were excellent at locating and judging animals. At the end of the day we enjoyed sundowners at the hippo pool and wonderful  accommodations. This would be a memorable trip for any hunter or group of hunters. This is my story…

As 4:00 am glows on the clock in the dark of our African bungalow, I lay awake nervously thinking about what daylight would bring, a buffalo hunt. Did I ever imagine we would be doing my husband’s dream hunt for an old dugga boy, the answer was NO.

I thought back to 1998 , we were at Mayo Clinic where my husband, Art, was recovering from a stroke during hip replacement surgery. The stroke had left him paralyzed on his left side. Being as tough as the old buffalo he was about hunt, he fought his way back.

This was our third trip to Africa, the first two in the Eastern Cape. It was to be a special trip with four friends we had hunted with on our first trip in 2006, Harley and Tina Berra, Charlie Kasten and Mike Ruedy.

We were thrilled to be hunting with Zeekoepan in the lush KwaZulu -Natal region. The hunt was for a wide range of animals from Red Duiker all the way up to Sable and Cape Buffalo.

Harley berra Red Duiker RSA 2010

The beginning of the week was very productive as our group harvested two very old Blue Wildebeest and Mike and Harley shot two trophy Bushbuck. The animals were abundant and the shots were quick and at short distances. Everyone was able to harvest very nice Warthogs as they were everywhere.

Charlie and Mike headed up north for a few days with PH Willem Basson to bag a beautiful Sable. Then back they came to hunt a Buffalo.

Charles Kasten Sable

Charlie’s hunt was first. They approached a large herd as Willem picked out an old hard boss Buff. They were very successful with an Old Dugga Boy down from a couple of well placed heart shots. This only intensified our excitement as we were to head out the next day on our hunt.

We drove out the next morning to a remote valley. Art was armed with my 375H&H that I won from a SCI Badgerland raffle. We suddenly came across an old bull standing by himself in a small grassy area. Willem thought we could do much better. We went around several small hills that lead to a large open valley .

The grass was over our heads in most places, so we glassed from the truck and spotted just the tops of two bulls standing together. Just as Art was trying to decide which one to shoot a third bull suddenly stood up and the decision was made. He was the one. Art aimed and could only see the top of the bull, so he had to estimate where he thought the shoulder shot would be. The gun rang out and the bull dropped out of sight.

Art Stender Cape Buffalo RSA 2010

Suddenly it sounded like thunder , there was a herd of cows and bulls on the hillside behind us. Later when we talk about the shot and the cows Art admitted he never heard them.

It was a very emotional photo session as you can well imagine. We both thought about how long this journey had been. Since the stroke he had had another hip surgery and a double heart bypass surgery.

Later back at camp we found that Art’s rifle shot had cut the buffalo’s aorta in half. We couldn’t have had a better PH than Willem who understood what this hunt meant to us.

That night it was wonderful to share the hunt with great friends. It was a perfect ending to a long journey that had started at Mayo.

Colleen Stender Warthog

Colleen Stender Blue Wildebeest

American Bison Hunt

by Paul Kmiec

I called Jeff Debaker, the owner of Superior Game Ranch, and set up a Bison hunt for 1 Dec 2010. When I arrived at ranch I met up with Dennis, my guide. Dennis and I talked for a while about the U.P. and hunting I also told him that I spent around 8 years at K. I. Sawyer AFB, which is about 45 miles north of the ranch, which is now K. I. Sawyer International Airport.

Dennis said he had spotted some bison earlier, so we got into the Gator and headed out.  After seeing some of  the other animals the Game Ranch has to offer we stopped about 120 yards at the edge of the woods were Dennis spotted the herd. Looking at these big beasts I asked Dennis which one I should take. Dennis pointed out a nice bull which weighed about 1200 pounds. He said to load up and put a shot right behind the right shoulder. I was using my 45/70 Harrington & Richardson Buffalo Classic with Hornady LEVER Evolution 325 grain bullets. I was around 40 yards away and took a shot. He stood there like nothing happened, so I loaded another round and waited. The mighty beast started to rock side-to-side and then went down. The rest of the herd came over to the downed Bison and got on both sides of him. He got up and started walking farther into the woods with the herd. I told Dennis that this is not good. Dennis started to make a lot of noise and threw some chunks of wood to get the herd to move. The herd moved in one direction and my Bison was heading deeper into the woods. Dennis said you better put another round in him, which I did, and then another. Dennis moved to the right of  the Bison to get him to head out of the woods. I had to put one more round to finish the job. Dennis got one of the other employees to get the big front loader to get the Bison out of the woods. Superior Game ranch handled everything and got the Bison to a meat processing plant. That night I had supper with Jeff and his family and the next morning after breakfast Jeff showed me the rest of the many different types of animals that can be hunted on his 4200 acre ranch. Their web site is

Next Fall I hope to go there and hunt for an elk.

Father/Son Hunt at Wild Spirit

by Ken Heim

We returned yesterday from the youth hunt I purchased at the Badgerland SCI banquet in February for whitetail and hogs at Wild Spirit Outfitters in Powers, Michigan. David and I had a fantastic time, even though the results of the hunt were less than we’d hoped for.  We arrived at Wild Spirit around 2:45 PM on Friday, September 24, 2010. The weather had been very wet, so the swamps were exceptionally swampy.  That didn’t slow us down one bit.  By 3:15 we were settled into our little sleeping cabin, and off to the swamp for hog hunting.  We elected to hunt from a blind, and we weren’t there for an hour when a group of five young hogs came into the clearing from behind us.  The pigs headed straight for a steel barrel that was tied to a tree about 30 yards in front of us and started to rub on the barrel.

David lined up his 7mm-08 Remington Model 7 Youth Rifle and put the crosshairs of his Bushnell scope on the largest of the hogs.  I heard David exhale, and I knew he was squeezing the trigger for that perfect break, when the porker went behind the barrel!  David didn’t miss a beat.  He swung a little to the left and lined up on a slightly smaller hog.  The rifle barked, and the 140 grain Berger VLD hollow point struck just as the hog rubbed back against the barrel.  The hog reared up on its hind legs and flipped on its back.  When his buddies finally left the scene, we went in for a closer look.  We estimated the live weight of his trophy at about 130-140 pounds.  Mmm, mmm, good eatin’! The shot penetrated the neck just ahead of the shoulder and blew out the carotid artery, making for a quick kill and no ruined meat.


David was pumped!  After that adventure, he was ready for a new SCI record Michigan buck!  On the way to Powers that evening to grab some dinner and pick up David’s tags, we saw at least 40 deer munching alfalfa in the fields along the road.  Boy, did we have high hopes.  Next morning, just before dawn, we were in a blind next to a cedar swamp that looked out over an alfalfa field.  Our hosts, Dan and Vern Kirschner, told us that deer would hang out in that field, or cross it to get to an apple tree in the woods about 70 yards out in front of us.  The breeze was out of the West and in our faces, and we felt we’d be packing a whitetail in to the camp before noon.

However, it was not meant to be.  By noon, we surmised the deer were all tucked snug in their beds and would, no doubt, wake up hungry later that afternoon.  We grabbed some grub and then headed for the beautiful main lodge to apositive that the herd would be out in front of us in no time.  At 6:30, when the sun tucked in behind the cedars, I told Dave to be very alert because the deer like the long shadows…at least on other days they seemed to like them.  Even though legal shooting time extended until almost 8:00 PM, the light was gone by 7:30, so we headed back to the lodge for a great dinner of pasta and meatballs prepared by our hostess.

During the meal, and we shared our frustration with Tom, another young hunter from Wisconsin.  Tom had seen some deer, so he was ahead of us, but they were dashing across shooting lanes and he had no opportunity for a shot.  The bear hunters were having great success.  Three of the four got their bears that day.  We suspected that, because every once in a while during our day in the blind, we would hear the dogs baying and a couple of shots shortly after.

After dinner, Dan took us to a different location where we would  hunt, the next day.  We set up in a blind just off a gravel road in a cedar swamp.  Shooting lanes had been logged off and cleared, and it looked like the perfect location to bag a big buck.  Unfortunately, Sunday turned out to be a repeat of Saturday.  As we were packing up the truck alongside the road, Dan drove up and stopped to wonder why the wily deer disappeared for the weekend.  All we could figure was that the deer had talked to the hogs, and the hogs told the deer to stay away from David!

Tom had better luck on Sunday.  He sat in is stand near a corn field until about 10:00, and then he and his uncle Denny went for a hike across a field toward a woods on the East side of the camp.  They saw one doe run across the field, and walked toward the area where she disappeared into the woods.  As they came around the corner of the woods, they saw another doe in the field.  Denny put up the sticks and Tom took her with one shot from his 243.  Later that day, Tom took another doe from his stand by the corn field.

Regardless the lack of deer, David and I had a wonderful Dad-and Son trip.  Dan and his family run a rustic operation, and their focus is on the hunt.  I would recommend Wild Spirit Outfitters to all who love to hunt.

SCI Badgerland’s SST at Expo

report by Alan Heth

Dan & Damon with some younsters

The Sensory Safari Trailer made it presence at Gander Mountain Expo in Baraboo, Wisconsin Saturday August/29/2010. It was a full day event with other exhibitors. Retriever and pointer seminars were given by local dog groups but of course the biggest ‘Hunter statement’ was made by the SCI Badgerland’s trailer.

The event was attended by over 1000 of the general public. About 200 kids with parents viewed the trailer. Dan Jackson, Damon Mills, and I were on hand to greet and answer the young kids questions about our collection of skulls, bones, hides, and trophy mounts. Don Thomson’s Cape buffalo makes a great draw card and was complemented with Mill’s huge trophy kudu.

Interested viewers

A good number of new SCI pencils were handed out with our ‘match the animal to country handouts’. We had many young minds thinking about the world and the animals in it. One could say we are preaching to the choir at an event like this, but no. So many are amazed and delighted to see so many touch critters beyond our State’s borders and realize more about the scope of hunting worldwide. We had many opportunities to talk about SCI conservation, education, and humanitarian projects around the world as well as in Wisconsin.



Notes on 7/17/2010 SCI Badgerland’s Sporting Clays Picnic

Report by Alan Heth

Leon Procknow won the 50/50 cash Humanitarian Raffle

Bill Hilgers won the Stoeger shotgun raffle.

Paul Baker cooked up Brats and dogs with many salads and desserts brought by members. Some ate inside with air conditioning. Others braved the high 80s outside.

About 60 attended and we had 37 shooters with many doing double rounds. One guest did a perfect 50. That is a first at the Waunakee Shoot for a SCI Badgerland participant. John Martinson, our Adaptive Sportsman/SCI Badgerland member, almost did a 50 with some steep terrain to negotiate. The Benellis, Brownings, Berettas, Winchesters, Remingtons, and many other guns blazed away. Nola Mills said the smell was wonderful. Baker reports that Bob Grosse shot a 13 with his pistol.

Bob Grosse

Joe and Beth Zimmerman shot clays and then picked up 3 SCI Badgerland Blue Bags to take to Africa next week. They have been talking it up with friends who all helped fill the bags. Scott McConnell picks up his Blue Bag for Africa hunt this September. We will have their stories after they get back.

Some chapter members showed up with photos from recent trips. Two  came back with great reports on New Zealand. Terry Monson had photos of his elephant with a pair of 60#s plus tusks. John Martinson had photos of monster halibut and a hooked shark from his recent Alaska Fishing trip. Martinson’s weekend fish fry next week will be over before you read this, we ate 65#s of halibut, courtesy of John. It is one of the many great reasons to belong to a Safari Club Chapter. We all share the bounty: whether through our Sportsmen Against Hunger program, Blue Bags over-seas, or just having a picnic shoot with great friends.

May 2010 Monson in Africa

Hunt Report

Terry Monson w/ Zimbabwe elephant

Alan Heth reports that SCI Badgerland member, Terry Monson,  just got back this May 2010 from a great hunt in Zimbabwe. He booked with Out of Africa and had a super trip. He saw many elephants and buffalo. He nailed a big bull elephant with one shot from his 416 Rigby rifle. The slug had barely a mark on it. The tusks were both over 60#’s.

The buffalo he chose to take was very old. The horns had been worn down to paddle type nubs. The body was enormous and it was a trophy Monson wanted. He has taken buff with seriously bigger horns in the past so he was comfortable with this different type of trophy selection.

each over 60 pounds

He relates the trip and hunt experience was quite rewarding and was handled professionally.

April 2010 Bear Mountain

Paul Kmiec 2010 Russian Boar

SCI Badgerland member Paul Kmiec of Sun Prairie, WI journeyed North this past April to engage in battle with the Raging Russians® of Bear Mountain Lodge located in Marquette, MI. Paul hunted this beast on foot and closed the deal with a shot from his Harrington and Richardson Buffalo Classic 45-70.  Paul enjoyed the convenience of the easy driving distance to Bear Mountain Lodge.  He had an excellent experience and took a legendary beast.

Vital Information

Hunter:           Paul Kmiec

The Beast:     “Alpha” Boar (Biggest and Baddest)

Club:              SCI Badgerland

Weapon:         Harrington & Richardson Buffalo Classic 45-70

Ammo:            Hornady LeveRevelution

Bullet Weight:  325 grains

Shot Distance: 20 Yards

Hunting Style:  Spot and Stalk

2009 Buffalo County Hunt

Guys, All I can say is what a year!!!

Matt Katfuss 2009 BuffaloCounty Buck

Matt Katfuss 2009 Buffalo County Buck

I shot this great 8 point on Saturday night while bow hunting with Butch and Mark Fox of Bluff Bucks Outfitters in Buffalo County, WI.  I haven’t taped him yet but he will probably be right in that mid 140’s range. His G2’s and G3’s are Awesome!!!

I was situated high in white pine, just off a secluded food plot when this big boy walked up from a brushy side hill.  I had to mouth bleat at him 3 times before he finally stopped in my shooting lane at 18 yards. I quickly settled the pin and squeezed off the shot. The arrow went right through his front shoulder and exited right behind the offset front leg. He tore off and traveled less than 60 yards before crashing into a big dead fall on the edge of a huge drop off!!! Thank god he died where he did or Mark and I would still be getting him out :)

I want to thank Butch for a great hunt and Mark for all his hard work and expertise in the field. At 23 years old, Mark knows more about whitetail deer and stand placement than most hunters I know who are twice his age. These two make a great team and have an awesome thing going. I am extremely lucky to call both of them great friends!!!!!

Good luck to all you bow-hunters on your upcoming hunts!!!!

Matt Katzfuss

Leave a Reply